Pop Culture Critic Elisa Kreisinger's Fair Use Video of the Month: "For Your Consideration"
Why It's Fair Use: Best Practice #5: Copying, reposting, and recirculationg a work or part of a work for purposes of launching a discussion
Content originally created as entertainment now serves the distinct purpose of launching an online conversation. Such uses are at the heart of freedom of expression and demonstrate the importance of fair use: when protected works are selectively repurposed to launch a discussion, a fundamental goal of the copyright system--to promote a robust social discourse--is achieved.
- Pariah, Written and Directed by Dee Rees
- We Need to Talk About Kevin, Co-Written and Directed by Lynne Ramsay
- Circumstance, Written and Directed by Maryam Keshavarz
- Higher Ground, Directed by Vera Farmiga
- I Will Follow, Written and Directed by Ava Duvernay
- The Future, Written and Directed by Miranda July
- In the Land of Blood and Honey, Written and Directed by Angelina Jolie
- Meek’s Cutoff, Directed by Kelly Reichardt
- The Whistleblower, Directed by Larysa Kondracki
Helping People Make Media That Matters
We investigate, showcase and set standards for socially engaged media-making. We organize conferences and convenings, publish research, create codes of best practices, and incubate media strategies. More...